Reviews Of What Is In Theaters Now

Subscribe to this list via RSS Blog posts tagged in Armie Hammer

Posted by on in Movie Reviews
CRISIS
Rated: R
Release Date: February 26, 2021
Director: Nicholas Jarecki
Stars: Armie Hammer, Gary Oldman, Evangeline Lilly
Plot: People's lives are controlled in different ways by opioids
 
Clint Says: Wait for the digital release
 

 

(Limited theatrical run)
 
Opioids are a dangerous thing. They are highly addictive and they are highly coveted. Because of that they have become big business, both legal and illegal. Crisis tells the story of the effect that opioids have on different people in different ways. One is a scientist asked to manipulate his numbers so a new opioid can hit the legal market, one is an undercover cop trying to stop the rampant spread of illegal sales, and one is a grieving mother who had no idea her son was close enough to the drug world to die because of it. 
 
All three stories are compelling and tragic on their own. In fact, this might have been better if it was rewritten as three different movies. The problem occurs when two of their stories intersect, but not the third. It doesn't make any sense. A lot of movies and books like to do the "crossing paths" storytelling, but if it is used, all of the paths need to cross, not just a couple of them. It is a powerful film that is almost really good. Unfortunately, the whole thing feels disjointed. 
 
Gary Oldman is fantastic in his role, which is all for naught, because his storyline should have been completely removed from the final version of the movie. It feels odd to say he was the best actor, but the movie would have been better without him, but it is true. 
 
Evangeline Lilly does a great job in her role moving through the stages of grief and loss. And Armie Hammer plays the gritty, undercover cop just like you would expect a gritty, undercover cop to be played. The good news with him is that his character is the only one that brings complex issues to the story, making his character much more interesting. 
 
I would like to tell you that this is a crime/mystery movie, or a drama, or a revenge flick, but I can't, because it is all of those things and yet, nine of those things. What I can say for certain is that it is an okay flick. It's not terrible, it's not great. Just wait for it to come out on a digital platform and watch it then. 
 

Posted by on in Movie Reviews

FREE FIRE

Rated: R

Release Date: April 21, 2017

Director: Ben Wheatley

Stars: Brie Larson, Sharlto Copley, Armie Hammer, Cillian Murphy

Plot: Several people are present for a gun deal gone bad

Trailer

 

Clint Says: Wait until after open weekend, but see this in theaters

 

 


Watching FREE FIRE is like watching Quentin Tarantino's THE HATEFUL 8's crazy, super angry, little brother.  

 

It is basically violence porn. But it is still a well done film. 

 

The entire movie is about a gun deal going bad. About 98% of the story takes place in an abandoned factory. The other 2% takes place just outside the factory. 

 

It sounds like it should be a painfully boring film, but there is a surprising amount of character building and compelling content that fills the time. It is also a really funny film, although half of the time you find yourself laughing at things that are actually horrific.

 

If you can't do movies with violence or bad language, stay far away from this movie. For those of you that like movies like RESERVOIR DOGS, get yourself to the theater as fast as you can. 

Posted by on in Movie Reviews

THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E.

Rated: PG-13

Director: Guy Ritchie

Stars: Henry Cavill, Armie Hammer, Alicia Vikander

Plot: US and Russian spies must work together to stop a mad man from getting a nuclear weapon.

Trailer

 

Clint Says: Save some money and see a matinee

 

 

If you are a tried and true fan of the James Bond franchise save your money for SPECTRE. This is not James Bond. It's not bad at all, in fact there is a lot about it that is quite enjoyable. It just has a completely different feel than you would expect from a typical spy flick. That probably has a lot to do with it being written, produced, and directed by Guy Ritchie.

 

I am always wary of a film that has one person in charge of so much. Especially if that person is one that is incapable of hearing the word "no" from his employees. (See: MacFarlane, Seth). But Ritchie actually made a movie worth seeing.

 

I wouldn't pay full price to see this flick simply because Henry Cavill's speech pattern is insufferably annoying and Armie Hammer's Russian accent is passable at best. Unfortunately, the two of them talk throughout the whole film.

 

I will say that the plot is interesting and suspenseful, there is a lot of great action and the laughs are plenty. You won't be disappointed seeing this film in theaters, but it's not going to be a long-lasting fan favorite.